We’re excited to find out that the luxury condos in downtown Albany at 17 Chapel fit nicely into plans for the future of Albany’s growth. Our friends at the All Over Albany blog recently published a summary of the Albany 2030 draft plan so that you don’t have to read through all 272 pages. As a downtown project close to public transportation options and built with Albany’s history and environmentally-friendly construction in mind, a new condo home at 17 Chapel is a solid investment.
Here are some of the ways that a new downtown condo fits the plan for Albany’s future:
- “Use zoning to promote mixed use development in neighborhood commercial centers, the downtown, and along transit corridors.” (pg 34 / pdf pg 44)
17 Chapel condominiums are located within walking distance from first-rate entertainment venues, and nightlife spots.
- Create development incentives for preserving historic buildings and facades and ensuring architectural compatibility between new and existing development
Though extensive construction and renovations to the building were necessary to provide modern luxury, the overall design of the building at 17 Chapel is inspired by the original modernist structure and mixes in elements of contemporary style, while evoking the historic surroundings of downtown Albany.
- “Build the downtown residential population by incentivizing high density residential and mixed use development/redevelopment.” (pg 52 / pdf pg 62)
The redevelopment of a warehouse space into residences has added residences to downtown Albany, helping to meet the demand for more housing downtown. What could be a larger incentive than a tax abatement, indoor heated parking, and the most luxurious address downtown?
- “Goal: Increase options to the private automobile to move people within and between Albany, the Capital Region, and beyond.”
While we don’t know what the future holds for Albany’s public transportation, developing the downtown core means increasing population density closer to the main public transportation hubs. A new condo home at 17 Chapel is close to CDTA buses and provides bike-to-work options.
- Determine the feasibility of a citywide bike share program.” (pg 100 / pdf pg 110)
At 17 Chapel, life doesn’t get any more convenient. Consider a new condo home in downtown Albany also as an investment for the future.